April 24

What We Have Been Learning

What a busy few weeks we have had! We have been establishing our CAFE menu for reading and the process of reciprocal teaching, where students work together on a text.

CAFE- Stands for

• Comprehension- I understand what I read.
  • Accuracy- I recognise and read the words in the text correctly.
  • Fluency- I can read smoothly and with expression. My voice sounds like real talking.
  • Expanding Vocabulary- I learn and use new words.

Under Comprehension we learn strategies that help us comprehend. Under Accuracy we learn how to make sure that we are reading precisely. Under Fluency we learn ways to become fluent and under Expanding Vocabulary we talk about how to tune into new and interesting words. Teachers are currently conferencing with individual students about their reading goals around the CAFE strategies. They are reading independently and selecting Just Right books.

In Reciprocal Teaching students work together in groups to make predictions about the text using clues from headings , pictures and key words. They then read the text carefully together, stopping and helping each other to clarify unknown words or phrases and highlight key words. Next the group members questions each other to check understanding. Once they have reached this point they are ready to write a summary explaining what the text was mainly about and some examples from the text. This summary should contain some of the key words that students highlighted earlier.

In mathematics students have been working with place value to establish how digits make up numbers and investigate the value of the digits when they are in different place value spots or columns.  Thery use MAB blocks to build models of numbers to help visualize the size of numbers.

Our integrated topic, Rules and Laws, is underway and students are discussing the difference betweem rules and laws, researching different aspects of where and why we have rules and laws, who makes them and the consequences if not followed.

Thanks to parents who are supporting and encouraging their children to use their diaries and do their reading for 20 mins per night. We are also needing students to tune into general knowledge/world knowledge. This helps them with having knowledge to draw upon for all areas of their learning.

Posted April 24, 2015 by andreag in category Uncategorized